Monday, January 30, 2012

The Lion

One on the best parts of going out to dinner in NYC is certain restaurants can make you feel 400x cooler than you really are- something about a hole in the wall restaurants with leather banquets, lit solely by candles and filled with beautiful people- creates a false sense of importance and glamour! Its fun, and should be enjoyed-  I always love eating in restaurants that drum up this feeling! My most recent find in this category is my new #1 neighbourhood gem. The Lion- totally unassuming from the street this west village haunt feels like the perfect place to see and be seen!(so to speak)


Since I do not normally spend quite this much on myself for dinner any given week night- I decided we would take a client out to dinner here- score one for the home team! Not only did I get an amazing meal, but we looked super awesome to our client who was obviously impressed by the restaurant choice!(This is why I don't have pics-felt like it would be rude at a client dinner!)
I had perused the menu several times and ending up going with two of my all time fav foods- this can often be a disaster, because when you are eating a favourites you have high expectations. I was blown away, the food was artful and delicious! Top marks for both the tuna tartar as well as the gnocchi- this may be the best gnocchi I have ever had state side!
Since it was a work dinner we got there on the earlier side, and there was already a decent crowd- and once we finished dinner around 9 you could barely move about the room the bar was so packed! Nestled in a basement/garden setting you feel almost like you are in an old wine cellar with the brick walls and beautiful old wood floors. The décor is simple and elegant- confirming the food is the main focus and source of decoration in this spot. 
Often times its hard to find a place that combines the palpably cool and trendy NYC scene with a truly wonderful culinary experience. The Lion succeeds on both fronts. I was thrilled with my experience and will undoubtedly be going back as soon as I can save up the $$!

The Lion
62 West 9th St
212-353-8400



No comments:

Post a Comment