Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Zucchini Pizza

So this past week I jumped on the Pinterest train. It has turned out to be a fantastic place to get cooking inspiration! All of the pretty food pictures make me want to try every recipe I re-pin! So from here on out I plan to post one Pinterest recipe every week! The inaugural flight of the Pinterest recipe endeavour is a recipe for zucchini pizza, YUM! This is a great recipe for several reasons: it is super easy, tasted fantastic, and is a slightly healthier way to enjoy everyone's fav late night snack, PIZZA!
Zucchini Pizza
Ingredients:
2-3 large zucchini
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups cheese of choice(I used mozzarella)
1 1/2 cups pizza sauce of choice(I used Mario Batali's brand!)
Toppings of choice! Here is a chance to get creative! I used turkey pepperoni and lemon artichoke pesto!(pictured below)


Directions:
- Cut zucchini long way into 3/4 inch thick slices and brush each side with olive oil and dust with salt and pepper
-Heat grill to medium heat and preheat oven to 350
-Once the grill is ready place the zucchini slices on the grill and let cook for 7-8 minutes or until they have obvious grill marks and are starting to soften.(I used the George Foreman grill as my NYC apt does not allow for outdoor cooking and it worked great!)
-Remove zucchini from grill and place on baking sheet(I lined mine with foil for easy clean up!)- now its time for toppings! I put the pesto on first, then the sauce, cheese and pepperoni!
-Place baking sheet in oven and cook for about 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly!

               

Here are the side by side pictures after the zucchini came off the grill and after it came out of the oven! From start to finish this entire recipe probably only took about 25 minutes to prepare, which is great when you get a late start making dinner!
All of the room mates tried it, and it was met with rave reviews! This is a recipe I will for sure make again, and its nice that you can change it up so easily  by throwing some new toppings into the mix! Just a warning this is not a hand held meal like pizza, you will need a plate, knife and fork! 

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I took your advice of what to wear yesterday so I fgured I would go ahead and take your advice of what to eat too! Soo glad I did because this was amazing! I made two types, one with pizza sauce, green peppers, cheese and veggie peperroni, the other with mozerella, tomato, and basil!!!
    Loved both! What if you used squash instead of a zuchinni? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete