Thursday, September 8, 2011

Recipe Thursday!(Lemon Pound Cake)

I am not generally a huge fan of pound cake, but this recipe comes from my Grandmother, Gran Doris- who makes a couple of the best dished I have ever had(Broccoli Casserole). This pound cake is pretty traditional but the secret ingredient(jello) somehow makes it one of the most flavorful and moist(hate that word, but there is really no substitute in this situation) pound cakes I have ever had!
Lemon Pound Cake
Ingredients:
1 package yellow cake mix(I used Duncan Hines)
2 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 package Lemon Jello Powder

1 fresh Lemon
For Icing:
2 tbsp lemon juice(I used the kind from a bottle for this part b/c we had it in the fridge)
1 cup sifted powdered sugar

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 350*F. 
-In a large bowl, beat together yellow cake mix, eggs, cooking oil, water, lemon extract, vanilla extract, squeezed juice from one lemon and lemon jello powder for about 4 minutes.(I used my hand mixer)
-Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray(I used PAM for baking and it worked great!). Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes or until top turns golden brown like the picture above.
  
-Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto serving plate. 
-To make the glaze: mix together powdered sugar with lemon juice. Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake.(I made a double recipe of the glaze b/c everyone always wants extra!)
The flavor and consistency of this cake is superb! We have been eating it for a few days now, and I must say it has been a breakfast favorite! Would be a great thing to make for a weekend when you have company as its the kind of thing you can have a piece of any time of day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment