Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Babbo

Well I have been on a major blogging break due to moving and trying to get settled in the new place, but I am happy to report it is DONE! My new place is so great, and I have the pleasure of walking by this place miltiple times a day! I have not been here to eat in a while, but I have a feeling I will start going as often as my wallet will allow! So I thought I would do a little throw back and talk about it from my past experiences, which have all been fantastic!
Babbo is unassuming from the street and the inside is charming and cosy. It is up scale and sophisticated in a way that does not feel uptight. Nestled on one of the most quaint and quiet streets in NYC, you are moments away  from a after dinner stroll through Washington square park. 
Each time I have eaten here we have tried one of the tasting menus. My initial trip to Babbo we had the traditional tasting menu, wowzers it was good, and for $75 per person it is one of the more reasonable tasting menu's I have encountered in the city. When you consider this gets you 8 delectable coursers it seems like a pretty good deal(so I always try to tell myself) Everything was superb, but the pasta course was the clear star, which is fitting for a place that prides itself on its rustic Italian cuisine. So while this menu left nothing to be desired it did entice me to go with the pasta tasting menu on my next visit!
The pasta tasting menu was exqusiite. Some of the most inventive and flavouful plates I have ever had! I always appreciate a combination I could never dream of, but all of the ingredietns work as if they are made for combination! Olive oil also plays a big part in a lot of these dishes and its amazing to see how much this delicate and malleable ingredient can sway dishes. Below are a couple of examples of the scope and variety seen on the pasta tasting menu. One course may look like an ode of the old country and ooze familiarity, when the next has you wondering what exactly is sitting in front of you!
While the black spaghetti may look a little weird the flavour from the squid ink brings something totally different to the dish, and it is divine! So after having tasted a total of 16 different plates from the restaurant I don't have one bad thing to say about the food! Each plate is expertly conceived and executed. Babbo deserves its spot on the NYC best restaurants list! Even though this restaurant has been super popular for 10+ years the people still flock to it, and it can be hard to get a reservation! So call early and call often, this is one place that is worth the extra dollars!

Babbo
110 Waverly Place 
212-777-0303
www.babbonyc.com

No comments:

Post a Comment