Thursday, June 23, 2011

Recipe Thursday!(Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole)

Last night my pseudo room-mate(while I technically live alone, I have dinner guests quite often!) requested I make this for dinner. This is a request I get at least once a month, if not more. This is one of those casseroles that my Mom made for us a good bit growing up. Even my super picky little brother ate this stuff!
When I first moved to the city, I babysat for a family who had two kids who were 8 and 12 years old. One of my responsibilities was cooking their dinner every night. One afternoon we were talking about what I would make for dinner, and I asked if they liked poppy seed chicken. They had never heard of it, so I explained it was a casserole, they had NEVER heard of a casserole. CAN YOU IMAGINE. This was one of many moments where I realized how different their household was, from the one I grew up in. I made them Poppy Seed Chicken that night, and I don't think I ever saw either of those children eat a better dinner!
This is a fairly simple recipe with very few ingredients and steps. You can see a variation of the the recipe Here.


Ingredients:
4 cooked chicken breast(I have also bought the pre cooked chickens from the market, and two of those work with these proportions!)
1-16oz container of sour cream
1- can cream of chicken soup
1- can cream of mushroom soup(you can substitute cream of celery soup for picky eaters who might baulk at the mushrooms)
2 tsp poppy seeds(I usually add an extra half tsp)
1- sleeve of crushed ritz crackers(I always make a little extra topping as well, so a sleeve and a half of crackers may be a better idea)
1/2 cup melted butter

Directions:
1- Chop chicken into bite size pieces, you can also tear if you are using the pre cooked chickens!
2-Combine sour cream, soups, and poppy seeds and stir well
3-Melt butter in a sauce pan and mix with the crushed crackers on low heat until butter is completely absorbed. 
4- Stir chicken into the sauce mixture and pour into casserole dish(I like to use a more shallow casserole dish as it will be less soupy, and you get more of the crunchy top with each serving). Then top with butter crackers. 
5- Bake for 30 minutes @ 350, or until the edges are beginning to bubble!






This recipe is quick and easy, especially when you use the store cooked chicken! Its great with some roasted broccoli and dinner rolls. Though it is generally considered a dish for the kids, you always see the parents sticking their forks in the casserole dish! 

No comments:

Post a Comment